Wednesday, November 21, 2007

H'okay!

I've felt as if I needed a bit of time for my absolute digression into sickly unhealthy choices. The benefit of this is that I am sick. Sick, sick, sick. I haven't eaten healthy for a month now, I haven't had a full, balanced meal in longer and I also have not been drinking enough fluids.

This weird form of self-torture has done exactly what I wanted it to do, however. Made me want to get better. Over the next few months, I intend to bring about some minor and major changes to my life and myself. These are attainable, they are also challenging and I will need support.

  1. No more coffee: Studies show that green tea is an obviously healthier choice. Not only do I believe the studies, I believe myself. Over the past week, due to a fortunate turn of events at Save On, my tea was in. Green Tea with pomegranate peel. Due to me loving this tea, it is all I have been drinking. I have noticed that my skin is clearer, my tummy isn't as bloated and I feel more relaxed. It still has caffeine in it, which makes it ok for mornings, but with the less amount of caffeine, not to mention calories, I feel a lot better. I am saving myself empty calories from milk and sugar associated with my coffees, and increasing my antioxidants. So hurrah.
  2. More vegetables: Anyone who knows me knows how much I hate vegetables. This one will be a challenge. I attempt to overcome this challenge by learning how to cook. I have recipe books on hold at the library that will help me learn vegetarian cooking, most of these are Thai/Chinese cook books, which is great. Not only will I become more familiar with different kinds of vegetables, I will be increasing protein and iron, which is important for me. Plus, learning how to cook is something I actually want to do, so don't laugh when you hear me talk about it.
  3. Less processed foods: I want to eat more fresh and actual food. No more cheese whiz, packaged soup, sodium rich easy food, canned food... After thinking about it, grilled cheese with real cheese is so much better. It may be higher in fat, but what do they even put in cheese whiz to make it last a year? Come on, there has to be a benefit to this plan.
  4. Normal sleeping patterns: Lately I've been sleeping for 10 hours during the day, awake all night and then exhausted during the morning. My sleep is way off and I need to normalize it. This will be easier when combined with the next goal:
  5. NORMAL EXERCISE: I am thinking of enrolling in a dance class, belly dancing or african dance. This will force me to get active without keeping me on the elliptical all the time. Plus it would be a social experience where I could meet people and have some fun.
I don't think these will be difficult if I keep to it. The hardest thing will be to cherish and even LIKE vegetables. euch. I just know that if I keep up this way, I will be a very lonely and pathetic 21 year old woman who keeps to herself because she is allowing herself to be unhappy.

I've been too secluded, and happy in my isolation and I'm starting to worry that it's going to become a lifestyle. So please support me in trying to change this.

No comments: