Saturday, October 6, 2007

a Miser a Misrable

Today was a very wonderful day with a side of melancholy.

As Thanksgiving fast approaches, my involvement in family affairs picks up. Usually I shrug and complain silently as I try to look for excuses to get out of baking or cleaning, usually baking. THIS YEAR, however, I found myself anxiously wanting to get involved in the food prep.

I donned my green apron, complete with pockets, put my hair back, washed my hands and was ready to go. My mom was quite happy with this sudden enthusiasm and already had plans for me. First it involved quartering a rather large bag of pecans, which was fun. I didn't cut myself once, which, is a first. Next I helped clean the mess I made... and thennnn...

I learned how to make pie crust.
From scratch.
My attempt worked.
I was shocked.

I also made 3 pie crusts, including putting them into the pie crust foil thing, made leaves for the pumpkin pie edge, made the pumpkin pie, helped with the trifle... I am so proud. I am also going to learn how to make peroghy with my Baba next week.

I have basically decided I'm not going to fight this urge to be a lone wolf, independent, incapable of being a married woman woman. I want to learn how to make things that run in the family... Like all the Ukrainian things I like, pies, biscuits... I want to be able to do these things. I'm tired of being a dumb girlchild. I want to be a self sustaining woman who is able to create things from scratch that are good and semi-healthy.

I also cleaned my room. I took pictures too because I don't know how long this is going to stay. Or if it will ever be this clean again. My sister was shocked and my brother told me how proud of me he was. Seriously, is my room being clean that much of a huge deal?

I lit my candles. The ambiance is incredible. I just need someone to cuddle with and I'd be set.

No comments: